Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw Trust
Address: Suite 905 – 100 Park Royal, West Vancouver, BC V7T 1A2
On May 11, 2000, the Government of Canada signed a Settlement Agreement with the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation) to settle a series of claims first commenced by the late Chief Joe Mathias on June 30, 1977. Nation Members ratified the terms of the Agreement.
As compensation for this settlement, Canada paid the sum of $92.5 million into a Trust account governed by a Trust Agreement. Under the terms of the Agreement, the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation) Trust has been established to hold the funds remaining after the initial distribution and any income earned on the remaining funds from the settlement for the benefit of the current and the future generations of Members of the Nation.
Funds from the income may be available on an annual basis for projects after all Trust expenses are paid (including 20 per cent of the income for annual distribution to Members). These funds are made available to Members and Nation Departments.
The Nation Trustees are appointed by Nexwsxwníw̓ ntm ta Úxwumixw (Council) to serve staggered four-year terms. No members of Nexwsxwníw̓ ntm ta Úxwumixw are eligible to serve as a Trustee. The Trust Agreement requires an independent Trust Corporation to be appointed as the fifth Trustee. The Trustees are to administer the Trust in accordance with the Trust Agreement and the Comprehensive Plan which has been approved by Membership, and an established Investment Policy.
December 3, 2020 – September 30, 2024
- Bradley Raymond Baker, Tsúnumut (Email: email@example.com)
- Kathleen Smith, Súseliya (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
December 18, 2018 – September 30, 2022
- Tyler Baker, Xalakiya (Email: email@example.com)
- Chief Leanne Joe, Sxwpílemaat Siy̓ám̓ (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lisa Peterson (alternate)
The independent administrative trustee is The Canada Trust Company (TD), Chris Angeconeb.
Applying for Project Funding
The Squamish Nation Trust has a two-stage process for applying for funding through two funding streams:
Programs & Services
All Squamish Nation Members, groups of Members and Nation Programs are eligible to submit a proposal. Proposals are limited to the Purposes set out in section 4.5 of the Trust Agreement.
For applicants to the Programs and Services stream, Stage 1 requires a letter of Request (no longer than three pages) and an SNT Programs and Services Application. If short-listed, a full proposal is required as part of Stage 2.
Applicants to the Small Business stream need to submit to the Trustees a Letter of Request, a Small Business Application and a Resume as part of Stage 1. If short-listed, Stage 2 will require the submission of a Business Plan. Please be aware if your business does not continue after three years of initial funding, you may be liable to pay the SNT funds back to the Trust.
The Project Administrator is responsible for managing all projects and providing the Trustees with a monthly report of the status of all Programs and Services and Small Business Projects. Any questions or requests for the Trust will go to the Project Administrator.
The Administrator’s purpose is to be a liaison between Membership and the Trustees and to assist with all steps of the SNT Application process:
During Stage 1, the Administrator will:
- Provide Membership with current SNT Programs and Services and Small Business proposal guidelines.
- Provide Membership with SNT Programs and Services and Small Business Stage 1 Applications.
- Provide advertisements and deadlines for SNT Call for Proposals.
- Assist all Membership with complete Stage 1 proposal packages.
- Review and summarize Stage 1 Applications for Squamish Nation Trustees discussion to move project to Stage 2.
- Inform all Applicants via formal letter if their project has been moved on to Stage 2 or not.
During Stage 2, the Administrator will:
- Provide assistance to all successful Stage 2 Applicants.
- Provide Programs and Services template, and Small Business Plan template to Applicants.
- Provide one on one meetings- (as many as needed) to assist all Applicants with their projects.
- Provide assistance with an individual appointment at any time outside of normal business hours to help Applicants.
- Meet with Applicants to go over Stage 2 Application to ensure that a complete application is submitted for SNT review. This is an excellent opportunity for applicants to ask any questions, get assistance with the financial projections, cash flow etc. and gain clarification on the proposal process.
In addition, the Administrator will assist SNT Recipients by:
- Administering the release of funds reflective of the recipient’s budget.
- Completing cheque requisitions for projects.
- Providing assistance throughout the SNT process and policies.
- Providing updates on individual project spending.
- Providing final report templates, and assistance to recipients.
- Requesting final 10% hold back of funds to be released and file to be closed after a complete final report is submitted.
- Provide on-going assistance, advice and after-care services to all SNT recipients (past and present projects).
Ineligible Proposal Costs
Due to the limited amount of funds available, the Trustees are not able to consider requests for the following:
- Travel costs to attend conferences or competitions.
- Costs for attending or hosting workshops or conferences.
- Repayment of loans or previous expenses.
- Purchase of furniture or cars.
- Construction and home renovations or repairs.
- Funding for Education and training programs that are available and can be funded through other sources.
- You may apply for funding from the SNT if all other means of requests from ALL other sources are denied. The SNT requires written confirmation from the other sources denying funding from the Education department or another applicable department and submit with your letter of request.
- Health Care expenses.
- Core Funding of programs.
- Duplication of programs or services already being provided for Nation Members by Nation Administration.
(Member access only – login required)