Squamish Nation Council looking for two members to join the Squamish Nation Trust
August 13th, 2018, North Vancouver
About the Trust:
The Squamish Nation Trust was established in 2001 as a result of the Court Settlement over the Kitsilano Court Case. The original settlement was for $97.3 million to be given to the Squamish Nation but only as an arms-length trust fund.
A trust fund is a fund comprised of a variety of assets (a.k.a money) intended to provide benefits to an individual or organization.
The Squamish Nation Council is responsible for appointing the Trustees every four years.
As two Squamish Nation Trustee positions conclude on September 30, 2018, Squamish Nation Council would like to acknowledge and thank Maurice Nahanee and Taylor George-Hollis for their work and commitment to improving the lives of Nation members through the administrator of our Trust funds and welcome them to put their names forward again.
What is a Trustee?
- A trustee is appointed to make decisions for the best interest of the Squamish People
- There are four trustees responsible for managing the investments of a $65 million dollar trust for the Squamish People.
- Two trustees will be appointed in September 2018 to serve a four-year term.
- The two other trustees will be appointed in September 2020 for a four-year term.
What is the work commitment as a trustee?
- One full-day meeting each month with honoraria for participating.
- Take some job-training related to the work of being a trustee.
What will I learn and do as a trustee?
- Reading and reviewing financial reports, summaries, analysis
- Reading and reviewing applications for funding focusing on community development (programs & services) and small business development.
- Learn from your fellow community members, contribute to the rise of our Nation, give back to your people in a positive way.
How to apply:
Deadline to apply is October 30th, 2018 by 5:00pm.
Contact Eva Johnston, Council Executive Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 980-4553 to receive a copy of the application.
Apply online by clicking HERE to use the online application form.