Squamish Nation Council looking for two members to join the Squamish Nation Trust
September 28, 2020
About the Trust:
The Squamish Nation Trust was established in 2001 as a result of the Court Settlement over the Kitsilano Court Case. The original settlement was for $92.5 million to be given to the Squamish Nation but only as an arm’s-length trust fund.
A trust fund is a fund comprised of a variety of assets (a.k.a money) intended to provide long term benefits to an individual or organization.
The Squamish Nation Council is responsible for appointing the Trustees for a four-year term.
As two Squamish Nation Trustee positions conclude on September 30, 2020, Squamish Nation Council would like to acknowledge and thank Brad Baker and Kathleen Smith for their work and commitment to improving the lives of Nation members through the administration of our Trust funds and welcome them to put their names forward again.
What is a Trustee?
• A trustee is appointed to make decisions for the best interest of the Squamish People.
• There are four Nation trustees and an Administrative Trustee responsible for managing the investments of a $65 million trust for the Squamish People.
• At least 2 of the Nation trustees must ordinarily reside on a Squamish Nation reserve. (Note: The two incumbent trustees live on-reserve, so there is no on-reserve requirement for this round of appointments. Off-reserve applicants are encouraged.)
• Two trustees will be appointed in November 2020 to serve a four-year term.
• The two other trustees will be appointed in September 2022 for a four-year term.
What is the work commitment as a trustee?
• One full-day meeting each month with honoraria for participating.
• Take some job-training related to the work of being a trustee.
What will I learn and do as a trustee?
• Reading and reviewing financial reports, summaries, analysis
• Meet the portfolio investment managers
• Reading and reviewing applications for funding focusing on community development (programs & services) and small business development.
• Learn from your fellow community members, contribute to the rise of our Nation, give back to your people in a positive way.
How to apply:
CLICK HERE to apply using the online application form (preferred).
Email Council_Applications@squamish.net or call 604-980-4553 to receive a paper copy of the application.
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 2nd, 2020 by 5:00 pm.