The Squamish Public Library invites artists from the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nation to submit designs for a permanent vinyl window covering for the front of the library building and the children’s area. The Squamish Public Library recognizes and acknowledges its location on the traditional territory of the Squamish Nation, and wants to further acknowledge the art, tradition, culture, and land of the Squamish Nation through this public-facing art installation.
• Window design to cover no more than ~60-75% of the total available space, excluding top row of window.
• Approximate dimensions (excluding top row): front windows are 47’ L x 6’ H , front wraparound windows are 15’ L x 6’ H, children’s area windows are 17’ L x 6’ H. Artist will be required to confirm exact dimensions.
• Design will be printed on cut-out frosted vinyl in monochrome white/grey. The design should feel like an integrated part of the building and still allow for some visibility through the windows.
• Acknowledgement and information about the art and artist will be installed along with window covering.
• Artist will be paid $5,400 for digital file of their commissioned work. The Library will arrange for the production and installation of the final product, and can provide support with scanning and digitizing, if needed.
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 5:00 pm.
How to Apply
Artists are encouraged to make an appointment to see the building in person. Contact Rachel at email@example.com to book an appointment.
All proposals must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Library (37907 Second Avenue) by Tuesday, December 15, 5:00pm.
Only one submission will be accepted per artist. If you have any questions, please contact Rachel at email@example.com.
The following materials must be provided in pdf, or as a physical copy:
• A brief summary about yourself (~1 paragraph)
• A brief summary about your proposed work (~1 paragraph)
• Images of proposed work
• Up to 3 images of previous work
• Contact information