High Streamflow Advisory – South Coast and Vancouver Island
ISSUED: 11:30 AM January 2, 2019
The River Forecast Centre is issuing a High Streamflow Advisory for the South Coast and Vancouver Island including:
- Howe Sound – including the Stawamus River and tributaries along the Sea-to-Sky Highway
- Sunshine Coast – including watersheds around Gibsons and Sechelt
- North Shore – including the Seymour River and watersheds around North Vancouver and West Vancouver
- Fraser Valley – including the Chilliwack River, and mountainous tributaries on the north side of the Fraser Valley
- West Vancouver Island – including tributaries around Tofino, Bamfield, Port Renfrew and surrounding areas
An intense Pacific frontal system is expected to stall over south-west British Columbia Wednesday afternoon through Thursday, bringing heavy rainfall across the region. Rainfall amounts are expected to be the heaviest for West Vancouver Island, with storm precipitation totals by Thursday afternoon potentially exceeding 150 mm. In other areas, rainfall amounts in the 100 mm range, or higher, are possible.
Streamflow is expected to rise in response to these storms, with high flows expected later on Wednesday and through Thursday, and into Friday for some river systems.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor conditions and update this advisory as conditions warrant.