Flood Watch – Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, North Shore, Fraser Valley (North)
High Streamflow Advisory – Squamish River, Sea-to-Sky, Fraser Valley (South)
UPDATED: 11:30 AM November 26, 2018
The River Forecast Centre is maintaining a Flood Watch for the South Coast including:
- Metro Vancouver (NEW) – including the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers and local streams
- Howe Sound – including the Stawamus River and tributaries along the Sea-to-Sky Highway
- Sunshine Coast – including watersheds around Gibsons and Sechelt
- North Shore – including the Seymour River and watersheds around North Vancouver and West Vancouver
- Fraser Valley (North) – including mountainous tributaries from Coquitlam to Harrison
The River Forecast Centre is maintaining a High Streamflow Advisory for:
- Squamish River
- Sea-to-Sky – including tributary watersheds along the Sea-to-Sky corridor north of Squamish to Whistler
- Fraser Valley (South) – including the Chilliwack River and surrounding tributaries
A series of intense Pacific storms is impacting the South Coast and Vancouver Island. Heavy rain has occurred overnight and this morning across the region, and is expected to continue through the day on Monday. Observed rainfall totals so far have been in the 20-60 mm range through the North Shore Mountains and Howe Sound.
Heavy rain is expected to continue throughout the day today. Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued rainfall warnings for the region, indicating the potential for 60-80 mm of rainfall through Tuesday morning, and amounts up to 90-120 mm over higher terrain.
River levels are expected to rise rapidly in response to this rainfall throughout Monday and overnight into Tuesday. Shallow snow accumulations at mid-elevations over the past few days are expected to melt with warmer temperatures, and will contribute additional runoff to streams. Additional heavy rainfall is expected to continue throughout the day. Peak flows are expected late Monday and into Tuesday.
Hydrologic modelling of current weather forecasts is indicating the potential for flood levels in streams and rivers in the Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, North Shore, Fraser Valley (North) and Metro Vancouver areas.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor conditions and update this advisory as conditions warrant.