Q: How will this Agreement be approved?
A: The membership will have the opportunity to review the Agreement at two general meetings and will be asked to either accept or reject the Agreement by way of motion.
Q: If the membership approves of the Agreement what benefits will the Nation receive today? What will it cost the Squamish Nation to receive these benefits?
A: The Squamish Nation will receive a total of $900,000 from BC Rail and the Province of BC once the Final Agreement is signed.
There is no cost to the Squamish Nation for the right to receive $900,000.
Q: If the membership approves of the Agreement at the present time, who decides if lands included in the Agreement will be purchased in the future?
A: Squamish Nation Chiefs & Council will seek the approval of the membership any before lands described in the Agreement are purchased in the future.
Q. If the membership does not approve of the Agreement today, what will the Squamish Nation lose?
The Squamish Nation will lose $900,000 in cash, PLUS:
- The opportunity to co-manage the Squamish Estuary,
- Fee simple ownership of 69 acres in the Wildlife Management Area,
- The ability to construct a Squamish Nation Interpretive Centre in the Squamish Estuary,
- The opportunity to own a 1/3rd interest in a deep sea port to be developed by BC Rail in Squamish,
- The right to decide what materials are shipped out of the deep sea port,
- The right to secure employment opportunities associated with the deep sea port for the membership,
- The right to fee simple ownership of 3.5 acres adjacent to IR 18,
- The right to purchase 1200 acres of land with the Province of BC=s support to seek Squamish Nation reserve status.