Chiefs and Council is proud to announce the signing of a Protocol Agreement with the Lil Wat Nation [Signed: March 22, 2001].
Squamish and Lil Wat People have co-existed respectfully as neighbours and have used and occupied the lands and waters within our respective traditional territories since time immemorial. It is the desire of both Nations to work in a cooperative manner in order to take advantage of economic opportunities, establish a clear First Nation presence in the area, and protect our respective aboriginal rights and title.
The purpose of this Agreement is to establish a process that will allow the Squamish and Lil Wat Nation to:
- Identify issues of mutual concern within traditional territories, but outside reserve boundaries;
- Better take advantage of economic opportunities;
- Make decisions jointly and implement those decisions together;
- Allow both Nations to express their mutual respect for each other’s historic presence in the region and to obtain a better understanding of each other’s communities;
- Establish a basis of mutual support for the preservation and protection of both Nation’s Aboriginal Rights and to examine the possibilities of shared jurisdiction and co-management.
We look forward to providing you with up to date information on the Protocol Agreement.
Squamish Nation Chief Gibby Jacob